malaysia

Transport Ministry denies road safety campaign a failure

Ab Aziz said he hoped motorists would be more prudent on the roads — Picture by Choo Choy MayAb Aziz said he hoped motorists would be more prudent on the roads — Picture by Choo Choy MayJOHOR BAHRU, Feb 15 — The Transport Ministry today denied that the annual road safety campaign was a failure as the number of fatalities due to road accidents dropped by 412 cases to 6,740 cases last year compared to 7,152 cases in 2016.

Its Deputy Minister, Datuk Ab Aziz Kaprawi said the dip in the number of fatalities showed a good development for the campaign.

“I hope that motorists will be more prudent (and cautious) whilst on the road, especially during the festive season, to avoid any untoward incident and at the same time to reduce traffic congestion,” he said.

Ab Aziz said this to reporters after witnessing the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Johor Port Berhad and PT Pelabuhan Indonesia I (PELINDO I) here today.

He also said the government would adopt a road enforcement approach, including the use of Automated Enforcement System (AES) cameras at all selected roads, to ensure that motorists would comply with the speed limit to avoid accidents.

“We understand the traffic situation during festive season and we ask the public to be prudent on the road and obey the road safety and rules,” Ab Aziz added. — Bernama

MORE ON MMOTV