Three players behind investment fraud have fled to Australia, say police
Share this article
KEPALA BATAS, Jan 17 — Three men, believed to be among the principal players behind an investment fraud involving losses of over RM700,000 in the state, have fled to Australia, said Penang police chief Datuk A Thaiveegan.
He said the department had sought the cooperation of Australian police to track down the three men in their 30s.
“Apart from these three, police are also hunting down several other individuals for further investigations. I urge the victims to come forward ...so far more than 10 people have lodged reports,” he told reporters after visiting Seberang Perai Utara police headquarters here today.
Last Wednesday, police detained a man and two women aged between 40 and 48 years, to assist investigations into the case. Their remand order which ended today was extended for another three days.
Police had earlier received reports from several people claiming they had been cheated by the three individuals who allegedly offered an investment scheme that promised returns of one per cent a day or 30 per cent a month.
In another development, Thaiveegan said police have detained a man at the Ayer Keroh rest and recreational area in Melaka, believed to have been involved in a goldsmith shop robbery at Jalan Datuk Ooh Chooi Cheng, here on Wednesday.
He said the 48-year-old lorry driver was arrested at about 3pm yesterday and has been remanded for seven days to facilitate investigations.
In the 10am incident, two men armed with a pistol fled the scene on a motorcycle with RM400,000 worth of jewellery.
Thaiveegan said police were now hunting down his accomplice, in his 30s, believed to be responsible for several robberies around Penang and Kedah. — Bernama