Penang flood evacuees to get RM700 one-off payment each
Share this article
GEORGE TOWN, Nov 14 — Each Penang household affected by the floods in Penang earlier this month will receive a one-off payment of RM700 instead of the RM500 promised by the state government.
Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the state government will top up an additional RM200 to the RM500 announced earlier.
“The additional RM200 each household will be funded by donations received under the Penang Bangkit programme,” the Air Putih assemblyman said in his winding up speech at the legislative assembly here today.
This will mean that an additional of about RM20 million will be spent for the one-off payment to flood victims.
This sum will be on top of the original RM50 million allocated for the one-off payment of RM500 each household.
The “Penang Bangkit” programme, launched by the state government to assist flood victims in Penang, has collected a total of RM9.6 million in public donations so far.
Lim said if the donations were not enough to pay for the one-off payment, the state government will top up the balance.
“This is the highest one-off payment to flood victims,” he said.
He also hoped the federal government will also grant a one-off payment to Penang flood victims similar to the one dished out for the 2014 Kelantan flood victims.
“This RM700 one-off payment will be disbursed by this year after the RM400 one-off payment for September 15 flood victims are paid out,” Lim said.
The RM400 one-off payment is for those affected by floods after a heavy downpour on September 15.
Lim said this year, the state’s accounts may close with a deficit budget due to the extra costs incurred by disaster relief payments after the floods on November 4 and 5.
“We were well on the way to a surplus, but after this, it will be quite difficult to have a surplus,” he said.
Last year, Lim had tabled a RM1.45 billion budget for 2017 with a deficit of RM667.10 million.