Iskandar denies Selangor MB demanded PAS excos quit
Share this article
KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Selangor executive councillor (exco) Datuk Iskandar Abdul Samad denied today that Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali has directed the three PAS state excos to quit their posts yesterday.
Iskandar was quoted saying he was unaware of such a report published by English daily The Star today, insisting that the meeting with Azmin was cordial.
“No, there has been no instruction whatsoever,” Iskandar said in a report by Malaysiakini.
According to Malaysiakini, the former Selangor PAS commissioner also repeatedly said he “did not know” when asked about the article by The Star.
Earlier today, PAS said it is ready to direct its three Selangor excos to let go of their posts, following rumours of a request by Azmin.
Despite that, PAS deputy president Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man was quoted saying that the Islamist party will only comply if the decision receives the assent of the Selangor Sultan.
Yesterday, Azmin asserted that he attempted “all that is humanly possible” to persuade PAS against cutting ties with PKR.
The PKR deputy president added that he was disappointed with the Islamist party for ending their ties after his efforts, which has cast a cloud on their state government functioning smoothly.
On Thursday, PAS officially ended all links or cooperation with PKR, with the Islamist party’s powerful Syura Council deciding that the move was necessary in order to defend the party’s Islamic agenda.
The Syura Council accused PKR of breaking many terms of its conditional cooperation with PAS, failing to support the Islamist party in its Islamic agenda, and working against it in two by-elections last year.