Indonesian Consul: No reports of abuse from Adelina before death
Share this article
SEBERANG PERAI, Feb 12 — The Indonesian Consulate did not receive reports of abuse from domestic worker Adelina Lisao before she died yesterday, its representative said today.
The Indonesian Consul for Consular Affairs Neni Kurniati said Lisao did not contact them or complain to them of abuse by her employer in Bukit Mertajam.
She said the 26-year-old came to Malaysia to work for her current employer in 2014.
“She had also previously worked in Malaysia prior to 2014,” she said.
Lisao was rescued from her employer’s house on Saturday with bruises on her face and wounds on her hands and legs.
She was admitted to Bukit Mertajam Hospital but died yesterday.
Kurniati said they are in the midst of tracing her family members based on the address stated in her passport.
“She was from Nusa Tenggara Timur but the address in her passport was not accurate so we have to trace her family in her hometown,” she said.
Kurniati said Lisao’s body will be repatriated once the police here have released it following the completion of investigations into her death.
She said Lisao was in Malaysia on a valid passport but she could not confirm if she had a valid work permit here.
“We have to refer to the Immigration Department on the issue of whether she had a valid work permit here,” she said.
On Saturday, Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim’s office visited a house in Medan Kota Permai 2 where Lisao was allegedly abused and forced to sleep in the car porch with her employer’s pet dog for a month.
When the employer refused to cooperate with Sim’s aides, his office lodged a police report on the case.
After the police contacted the employer, Lisao was brought to the police station and she was later admitted at Bukit Mertajam Hospital.
The 26-year-old domestic worker died in the hospital at about 4.30pm yesterday and the police arrested two suspects to assist with investigations.
The suspects, siblings aged 36 and 39 years old, are being investigated for murder and have been remanded until February 14.