IGP denies withdrawing govt bodyguards for Dr M
Share this article
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 5 — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is still under the protection of government security personnel, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said today.
He refuted claims that the government had withdrawn police protection for the former prime-minister-turned-leader of the Pakatan Harapan Opposition pact.
“The bodyguards from the Special Action Unit are still in place providing security for Tun Mahathir. Only police officers from the general duty were called back. This is normal procedure,” he told the New Straits Times today.
In a November 1 posting on his Facebook page, Dr Mahathir wrote that the services from the police commando unit, better known by its Malay initials UTK, had been withdrawn exactly a year after the government ended the contract for two house helps.
Pictures showing Dr M hugging and being hugged by two burly men, purportedly his government security agents, have also been circulated on the internet, fuelling the allegations.