EPF: Viral text claiming withdrawals disrupted for six months fake
Share this article
PETALING JAYA, Feb 13 — The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) has denied issuing a statement claiming its payout system had been affected by the destruction of its Petaling Jaya branch by an alleged “mysterious fire” earlier today.
The statement shared on the WhatsApp instant messaging service with the header “Official Announcement”, claimed that the fund’s operating system would be down for six months.
“KWSP system will be down for 6 months due to restoration works caused by mysterious fire,” it said, using the Malay initials for EPF.
“No withdrawals can be made during this period. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.”
The message was written in both English and Mandarin.
A spokesman for EPF told Malay Mail the message was “obviously fake” and urged those seeking to perform transactions to head to the nearest branch.
“We have not issued any such statement and our overall system has not been affected by the fire. Employers and members may head to the nearest branch to perform transactions.
“We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and will provide an update once the branch is back in operations,” he said, referring to the Petaling Jaya outlet.
The morning fire at the six-storey building destroyed an estimated 40 per cent of the building and caused traffic congestion along the Federal Highway as motorists slowed down to observe the burning building.