DAP hands over last RM1m donation for ‘Penang Bangkit’ programme
Share this article
GEORGE TOWN, Nov 27 — The last RM1 million public donation started earlier this month by Penang DAP in aid of residents devastated by floods has finally been submitted to the state government today.
The state DAP chairman Chow Kon Yeow said the party had a balance of RM908,290.96, after closing collection the “Penang Bangkit” disaster relief fund on November 15.
“Penang DAP donated an additional RM91,709.04 to the balance of the donations so today, we are presenting a total RM1 million to the state government's disaster relief fund,” he said at the handing over ceremony at Komtar here.
Chow handed over the RM1 million donations to state finance officer Datuk Sarul Bahiyah Abu this morning.
He said the Penang DAP's disaster relief fund collected a total RM8,908,290.96 between November 6 and November 15.
The party handed over RM5 million on November 9 and another RM3 million on November 15.
The state chapter of DAP started the cash donation campaign after receiving calls from numerous well-wishers who wanted to contribute aid and assuage the damages suffered by Penangites in the November 4 and 5 floods.
The Pakatan Harapan Penang government subsequently launched the “Penang Bangkit,” also known as Penang Bounce Back, programme after the floods.
More than 12,000 people were displaced by the floods that weekend. It has been estimated that around 100,000 people in Penang were affected by the disaster.
The “Penang Bangkit” cash donations will be used as part of the RM700 one-off payment to all affected by the floods.
Find out more about applying for the payment at penangbangkit.com.