A simple tofu dish to tempt your tastebuds
Share this article
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 19 — If ever there was a tofu contest and you were to be blindfolded and asked to choose your favourite tofu, you will be sure to pick Japanese egg tofu.
I’m so sure of that because most tofu have a slightly blander taste whilst Japanese egg tofu has that winning ingredient in it— egg — which makes it stand out from the rest of its kind.
Like most tofu made from soy milk, it is firmed up using a coagulant mainly originating from calcium or magnesium. The temperature when mixing soy milk and its coagulant together is imperative in achieving the final product of a silky tofu.
As funny as it sounds, this dish is really quite Chinese despite Japanese egg tofu being the main ingredient.
Japanese egg tofu works like magic when coated in some tapioca flour, deep fried and put on a plate drenched in an amazing chicken broth. You have got to try it to understand what I mean.
Japanese Egg Tofu
2 packets Japanese egg tofu, cut to 1cm thick
Tapioca flour to coat
Enough vegetable oil for deep frying
Chillies and spring onions for garnish
For the sauce:
½ teaspoon chicken boullion
½ stalk leek, sliced finely
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
½ cup water
½ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons room temperature water
dash of pepper
1. Heat a small saucepan over high heat.
2. Add vegetable oil until it reaches ¼ of the saucepan.
3. Using a bamboo skewer, dip it in oil and wait for bubbles to form around the skewer.
4. Gently coat Japanese egg tofu with tapioca flour, shake off excess flour and gently place coated tofu in hot oil. Deep fry for roughly 1.5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on absorbent paper until cool. Repeat process for the rest of the Japanese egg tofu.
5. For the sauce, add chicken bouillon, leek, oyster sauce, water and sugar in a separate saucepan. Put over low heat and wait for sauce to simmer. Using a clean bowl, add cornflour and water and stir to dissolve. Then add cornflour mixture to the rest of the sauce. Mix sauces together and wait for it to thicken. Once thickened, turn off heat.
6. Place deep fried pieces of Japanese egg tofu in a bowl.
7. Pour sauce over Japanese egg tofu and garnish with chillies and spring onions.
8 Serve immediately with rice.